The unidentifiable beauty in letting it all out!

As I am scrolling down the entries in one of the Facebook groups, I saw a post with potential. Potential in a way that it seemed like some kind of job offer for people with various skills.

“Hi, I have just secured a 1.5 hectare pretty piece of land in The Golden Triangle 5 mins from the beach in a prestigious resort area of Algarve. Our project is to build a Horse Sanctuary - EcoLodge - Glamp-site, creating a tranquil space to retreat. I am offering free accommodation (tent or mobile home space for now) to anyone willing to help my partner and I clear the land and start building. We have borehole access but need to set it up. In the mean time water tanks. We will have 24/7 solar power (buying this week) We have already a BBQ and communal rest area with sun beds. Lots of shade/trees. Skills needed are carpentry, landscaping, fencing, gardening, building, welding etc. If you think you would be a good fit for us please PM me telling me why with brief Bio and relevant experience. We are open to all races, ages and experience. No freeloaders / no nutters please!”

Now doesn’t that look promising for Portuguese craftsmen! Work offered in a prestigious resort area of the Algarve. Work for carpenters, builders, welders and gardeners. The post mentioned accommodation available in a tent or mobile home, so distance should not be a problem if it’s a few weeks work. Next, to that, there must be many local craftsmen available. All in all a nice opportunity for some to make some hours and earn some money. As there was no mention of the payment details I just asked politely.

 “Offering free accommodation is great, but what about the wages?”

The answer was kind of strange and it kind of surprised me.

“No wages. Includes food.”

Now that raised a few questions as you can imagine. I could not resist asking further and let some of my irritation out, as I’ve seen more of these posts lately.

“So people with experience in building, welding, carpentry... in other words skilled labour, without pay? for real? How does food only going to pay the bills of a builder, welder or carpenter? Looks to me you are looking for a flight on a private jet for the price of a Ryanair ticket! There are enough Portuguese craftsmen and skilled people who would work at very affordable prices!”

Yes, It was a rhetorical question, I already knew the answer. Of course, there were tips from other people on the post. Sharing links to sites where you specifically can put adds for free workers, people with the means to go on holiday and work a bit in exchange for some camping space or free food. But it got even more unreal after reading an answer.

“Thanks for all your helpful comments everyone. I forgot to add. Food is of course included. And I forgot to add need cook, cleaner, admin too and if you think you don’t have the skills listed, we need all sorts so send me a message. Any help welcome.”

Now, even Picasso didn’t paint that surrealistic. It seems that business plans nowadays can be based of free labour, even more, chasing a dream and try to make other people realize it for you. I had to let it out!

“Now, (and sorry for getting a bit agitated) your asking for a cook to make meals for just having a few bits him/herself, for people who work for free and a cleaner to clean up and someone to do the administration? Next to have all labour done for free... to finally end up with a Horse Sanctuary - EcoLodge - Glamp-site? Well, that sounds like a business plan to me! I would be very tempted to visit when all is finished, I never "Clamp camped before, but I think I like it for a few weeks! I'll bring some potatoes and fresh oranges from our garden as payment!”

Did that make me feel better? Well, kind of, but just for a moment. There’s a lot of people stating that it’s good for the Portuguese economy that so many foreigners are moving into the country. They pay taxes, spend money and in some cases even bring old farms back life. And yes, I agree, there are some that do a very good job! Restoring an old ruin, making farmland productive again and even the pensioners who spend their money, regularly going out for dinner, buying Portuguese goods, having local builders and craftsmen working on their dream house. In other words, contributing in a way to a (local) society that indeed needs positive and financial impulses. (Some make a deal about not paying taxes for the first 10 years, so be it, if they spend that money locally)

But then there is this group of people with a whole different view on things. One of the most common words they use is “retreat”. Don’t get me wrong, there are people who invested all their money, years of work in restoring an old building, converting it to a “resort”, renting it out with different themes that fit in the “new age” way of seeking a meaning in life. A very risky, but also a positive way to make a tribute on so many different levels. Rescuing a historic building, contracting local builders, adding interesting and positive influences on a local society and economy. Mostly there’s a pretty price tag on rent and joining all kinds of courses, but it reflexes the investments done and when you see some of these beautiful places, also the exclusivity and luxury.

Then there are the ones with similar dreams that want all that for free. I couldn’t come up with another word than “dreamers”. People who didn’t think it through, expecting Portugal to be a heaven full of free opportunities. But the last words in the original post directed me to a clear interpretation of these dreamers; “freeloaders”. Yes, I looked it up in a dictionary: “a person who takes advantage of others' generosity without giving anything in return”. It’s pretty ironic to put a post up and not wanting people who are alike to respond!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The unidentifiable beauty and sustainable appeal of re-using the old.

The world of ART.. a can full of tomatoes and worms.

The identifiable beauty of not being informed and getting away with it.